For your responsible, impactful journey
What’s in this Resource Book?
I wrote and compiled this Resource Book for responsible travel in April 2016. It’s full of articles, tips, stories and experiences to help you to travel responsibly.
Want the Resource Book for free in your inbox?
It also explains a bit about my own background.
My own video clips shamed me and opened my eyes at the same time.
Watching some clips I had taken in Kenya really changed the way I saw myself and the way I travel.
Self-discovery is crucial for your responsible travel, even before your journey.
And it is almost inevitable during your trip. My own personal story about what I learned “on the road” gives you a feeling about what it can do for you, too.
However, for your responsible journey, you need a little bit of theoretical background knowledge as well: Colonialism, Public Relations, Economics…
I know. You want to travel, experience the world and have a great time, so you probably want to skip the theory.
Rather than a theoretical essay though, this part is my very personal confession of confusion. I linked several helpful, fun videos and plenty of resources to help you get some background knowledge.
Any of these questions will be answered in the book:
- Why should or shouldn’t I volunteer?
- What skills do I need to volunteer?
- Should I pay for volunteering?
- How can I find a reputable organization for volunteering?
- What exactly can I write in an email to a travel expert in order to get more advice?
On experiencing different cultures:
- How to be respectful and mindful in a different culture (incl. Gandhi’s advice)
- How to deal with (reverse) culture shock
- How to get in contact with people – for introverts and extroverts (incl. games)
- How to travel as a vegetarian / vegan / person with allergies
- How to stay in contact with newly met friends
What happens when:
- I get sick?
- I am robbed?
- I don’t get along with people?
- something happens at home?
- I fall in love abroad?
An entire chapter full of advice for travel planning:
- Planning vs. Un-Planning
- The basics of travel planning – the ultimate questions for your preparation
- How to pay for your travels (through crowdfunding)